124 views
Verified Reviewer

Featured

I recently attempted to send the letter below, via email, to Pearson PTE, Pembroke Pines, FL, but the Pearson website does not show email addresses for communication purposes. The only email address I could locate was listed under their Malpractice Policy &; no response to my letter was received.

I wrote:

To Whom it May Concern:

I am writing to convey my extreme disappointment with Pearson I PTEs computer based testing equipment and services. I recently traveled over 350 miles to Pembroke Pines, FL, to complete the PTE Home A1 test. I speak, read and write English fluently. I converse with my wife (who is from Great Britain) in English all day every day.

I communicate with her parents in English when they visit us in the United States. I am composing this email. My wife, who is college educated, tells me I sometimes use words in my vocabulary that even she has to look up in the dictionary. My wife graduated with Honors from the University of California at Berkeley.

I share this information with you in an effort to convey how stunned myself, my wife and her parents were to learn my score result: Fail.

(Test date: September 30, 2020. Test Taker ID: PTE00132****.

The content of the PTE Home A1 test was extremely basic and I understood every single word that was spoken, regardless of the different accents; however, the computer and/or test or both, appeared to be malfunctioning. For instance, I was reading the instructions and the test began before I initiated the start of the test. Additionally, the digital countdown on the screen showed I had 25 seconds to respond/answer a question, but at 19 seconds the beep sounded.

The beep was not in sync with the digital countdown timer. It seems several of my responses were either not recorded, or only partially recorded, due to the inaccurate digital timer/beep. Furthermore, when I heard the recording of my voice played back my voice was unnaturally slow and distorted, and in all honesty, I sounded like Forrest Gump. I can assure you I do not sound like Forrest Gump when I communicate verbally in English.

During and after the test I wanted to tell the man who seated me at the computer that the computer and/or test or both, did not appear to be functioning appropriately, but each time I tried to ask a question I was shushed and told not to speak.

I was intimidated and felt uncomfortable speaking up for fear I would be told to leave the testing site. When I was initially seated the man who directed me to a computer told me I could not communicate with him because there was a microphone.

After paying $175 for the PTE Home A1 test and traveling many miles to the location, my expectations for the Pearson Testing Site, included professional communications with the staff at this facility and a fully functioning computer/software. On the Pearson PTE website it reads: Unbiased English testing for study abroad and immigration. Fair computer-based testing and scoring means you are assessed objectively and consistently.

Market Leading Technology! To my dismay, this was most certainly not my experience.

I understand the tests are graded by an algorithm, not humans, and therefore, it seems apparent that if the recording of my voice was inaccurate and incomplete due to lack of synchronicity with the digital timer and the beep, I would of course receive a failing score when scored by an algorithm versus a human being. If my English skills were truly limited and I had struggled with the content of this test I could accept a failing score and work on improving my English speaking and listening skills. However, that is not the case.

I respectfully seek a remedy to the unsatisfactory test administration of the PTE Home A1 test in one of three ways: 1) I request a human being review the recording of my test to assess the accuracy of the recorded information and the function (or rather malfunction) of the computer/test; 2) I be issued a full refund in the amount of $175; or 3) I be issued a credit in the amount of $175, so I can register for another PTE Home A1 test in another location, either in Atlanta, Georgia, or New York, New York.

I cannot return to Pembroke Pines, FL, because it is too far from my current location.

Thank you for reading and reviewing my letter and addressing my concerns. I look forward to receiving a prompt response.

Respectfully,

Erwin Sanchez

User's recommendation: Do NOT use Pearson, they are not professional. They only want your money, multiple times.

Pearson Education Pros: Are open & had an available test date.

Explore video interviews